It’s been a while since we had our last update, but we’ve now released pre-alpha v3.0 with some major changes.
✨ What’s New?
After the feedback from the previous test versions, we felt that it still needed a lot of improvement. So we took some time to redesign all the core features, started developing from scratch and finally have a new version ready for testing.
- New player character (say hi to Gomu!)
- New player controls
- Item info UI redesign
- New item toolbar
- New transform gizmo (with pivot tool)
- New wire system and wire toolbar
- Add shapes
- Remodel all components with more accurate measurements
- New environment
- Rework item shaders
- Add basic tutorial window
- Add basic challenges
- Visual brand refresh
- Fix lots of bugs
- Code improvements
- Light bulb
- AA batteries
- DC Motor
A lot of features (e.g. digital components, lessons, build box, …) are still missing for now. We’ll try to add it back in the next versions.
💻️ For Testers
Download link: Windows Build
⚠️ If Microsoft Defender popup appears: click on more info > run anyway
🎮️ Open the Shortcuit_Pre-Alpha v3.0.exe file.
Download link: Mac Build
🎮️ Open the Shortcuit_Pre-Alpha v3.0.app file.
🖱️ We recommend using an external mouse as this version is not optimized for a laptop trackpad.
In this version, we’ll be focusing on the overall experience of building an electronics project. From moving around with the character to dragging wires and interacting with the components.
Here are 3 key points we’d like to get your feedback on:
- How are the player controls? (moving around, flying, ALT key, …)
- How are the controls for building an electronics project? (wire drawing, move/rotation, …)
- How is the item info UI? (tabs, visualization of info, …)
Here are some other questions you can answer:
- Any problems you have when building a project?
- Were there things you didn’t understand? Were you stuck?
- If you tried v2.0, how does it compare? Were things better in that version?
- Do you have any other suggestions?
🧠 You can find a few small challenges to try out (challenge system is temporarily).
❔ What we’ve been up to
The reason why it’s been a year since the last update, is because we were working on another project so we can fund the Shortcuit development. We had to put this project on hold for a while before we could work on it again part-time.
We also took the time to rethink this whole project and see were we want to go with it. There are some important features planned and we are excited to share them with you in the near future.
➡️ Moving forward
From now on, the Shortcuit forum will be used as the main place for discussions and questions about this game. We’ll try to post more on our social media channels to keep you updated with our progress as well.
🆘 How can you support us?
You can support us by giving feedback and sharing the game with other people who would be interested.
🔗 Follow us on our social media channels:
📬️ Subscribe to the Shortcuit Newsletter:
Shortcuit Newsletter Widget
And lastly, I would like to thank everyone for their support and enthusiasm. It really helps us to keep going!